Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is good anytime, of course. I'm guessing the salad got it's name from the beautiful reds and greens in it. If watercress is available, don't leave it out; it adds a lot. Prepare the pecans and salad dressing a day or two before and it will all go together quickly.
- 1 cup whole pecans
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 cup walnut oil or 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 head red leaf lettuce
- 1 head bibb lettuce
- 1 cup watercress leaf
- 2 medium Red Delicious apples
- lemon water or orange juice, for dipping apples
- 3⁄4 cup glazed pecans
- 3⁄4 cup blue cheese, crumbles
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- Glazed Pecans: Melt butter, syrup and salt; add pecans and stir together; spread on baking sheet and bake at 250° for 45-60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove to waxed paper to cool; chip into pieces and set aside or store in air-tight container.
- Dressing: Place all ingredients in a small jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake until combined; refrigerate until needed.
- Salad: Tear lettuce into bite-sized pieces and mix with watercress in a large salad bowl; cut apples into thin wedges (dip in lemon water or orange juice); add onions, pecans, bleu cheese and cranberries; drizzle with salad dressing and toss to combine.