Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Very tasty, moist dressing. This recipe is enough stuffing for a 16 lb Turkey
Make and share this Wild Rice & Pecan Stuffing for Poultry recipe from Food.com.
- 7 cups chicken broth or 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups wild rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice (basmati)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, cleaned & sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup madeira wine
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Bring 6 1/2 cups of the broth and the bay leaf to a boil (use a fairly large saucepan).
- Add wild rice and simmer the wild rice covered for 30 minutes, add long grain rice, keep covered and cook for apprx 20 minutes more.
- Watch that the rice does not burn because the stock will be absorbed (if necessary add a touch of water if the rice is not cooked) Transfer the rice to a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a skillet, add onions& celery, saute for 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, garlic & thyme, continue sauteing until the mushrooms are tender (8 minutes) Add Madeira, bring to a boil.
- Pour mushroom mixture over the rice.
- Stir in the beaten eggs and remaining 1/2 cup stock.
- Add pecans & parsley.
- mix well.
- Ready to stuff your favorite bird as soon as it has cooled.
WOW Bergy!! wonderfull stuffing!! I made the whole recipe for 12!! for a 5 lb chicken!! Stuffed the bird and casseroled the rest, and will freeze it for future use. It is soo good, we will probably use the casserole for a side dish. It was wonderful in the bird, the combination of wild and basmati rices was sooo complimented by the pecans, onions, mushrooms, garlic and herbs with a perfect touch of madeira!! There was chicken left over but not a speck of the stuffing!! Thanks for sharing Bergy!!
I can't even begin to say how wonderful this stuffing is!!! I also made the whole recipe and since it will stuff the turkey and then some, I will have lots for the freezer. Thanks so much, it's definitely worth being in the kitchen for!