1 hr 30 mins
The Giggle Box's Note:
This recipe is from Classic Home Desserts - and they got it from the Buckhead Diner in Atlanta, GA. Prep time includes time to chill the dough.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons beaten eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
White Chocolate Pastry Cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut in pieces
- 1 1/2 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- white chocolate curls (optional)
- 6 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 1To make the sugar dough: Combine the butter and sugar in a food processor until just blended (or cut the ingredients together with a pastry blender).
- 2Add the egg pulsing or tossing to combine.
- 3Add the flour and mix until it is just incorporated, no longer.
- 4Gather the dough into a ball, flatten it into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap or wax paper and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- 5Preheat the oven to 350°F, place the oven rack in the lower third of the oven.
- 6Roll out the dough on a floured surface until it is about 1/8 inch thick.
- 7Gently fit it, without stretching, into a buttered 10-inch Tart pan (preferably with a removable bottom and fluted sides).
- 8If you do not have a tart pan, you can use 10 inch or deep 9 1/2 inch pie pan.
- 9Trim off the excess dough, leaving a 3/4 inch overhang.
- 10Tuck in the overhanging dough, pressing the edges of the crust against the sides of the pan and forming a high, fluted border.
- 11Line the dough with a sheet of buttered foil (buttered side down) and weigh down with weights or beans.
- 12Bake the shell until the sides are set, about 12 minutes.
- 13Carefully remove the weights and foil and gently prick dough all over with a fork.
- 14Continue to bake until pale gold and baked through, about 5 minutes.
- 15Cool the pie shell completely on a wire rack.
- 16Making the White Pastry Cream: Bring the milk and vanilla bean to a boil.
- 17Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until pale and light, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- 18Whisk in the cornstarch until smooth.
- 19Remove the saucepan from the heat, and whisk 1/4 cup of the hot milk into the egg yolk mixture.
- 20Repeat once or twice.
- 21Scrape the warmed egg yolk mixture into the saucepan with the remaining milk and return to a boil, whisking the entire time, boil for one minute.
- 22Remove the pastry cream from the heat, and whisk in the butter and white chocolate until smooth.
- 23Strain the custard into a clean bowl.
- 24Place a sheet of wax paper or plastic wrap directly on the surface of the cream and refrigerate until cooled.
- 25Shortly before serving time, whip the cream until nearly stiff.
- 26Thinly slice the bananas and toss with the lemon juice.
- 27Fold the bananas and the liquers into the chilled pastry cream and gently fold in the whipped cream until blended.
- 28Fill the cooled pie shell with the filling.
- 29Gently scatter the chocolate curls over the filling, covering the tart completely.
- 30Very lightly dust the chocolate curls with cocoa powder and serve.
- 31To make the chocolate curls: Melt the white chocolate in a double broiler until smooth.
- 32Pour the chocolate onto a marble slab or the back of a smooth baking sheet.
- 33With a spatula, spread out the chocolate into an even 1/8 thick layer.
- 34Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- 35Push a chef's knife blade away from you through a 4 inch width of chocolate, forming a loose curl.
- 36Continue to form chocolate curls with the remaining chocolate.
- 37With a large spatula, very gently transfer the curls to a baking sheet and refrigerate until needed.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Chocolate Banana Cream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 586.1
- Calories from Fat 322
- Total Fat 35.7 g
- Saturated Fat 21.6 g
- Cholesterol 166.9 mg
- Sodium 57.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 38.4 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white Creme de Cacao