Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Why not make this version of ambrosia that can be enjoyed by your vegetarian and non veg friends! It doesn't lack for taste, really.
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1 cup apple, chopped
- 1 cup orange, chopped
- 1 cup sliced strawberry
- 1 cup organic grapes
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup soft tofu, pureed
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed (optional)
- In a large bowl, toss the fruit and coconut until well blended.
- Combine the cornstarch with the lemon juice in a medium saucepan and stir until well blended.
- Place the saucepan over low heat and add the sugar and orange juice.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove and allow to cool thoroughly.
- Fold the puréed tofu, orange rind, and poppy seeds into the juice mixture and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Pour the dressing over the fruit immediately before serving.
This was really good! It was my first time making a sauce using tofu, and I was surprised how well it worked! Instead of sugar, I used agave nectar- also added a bit of vanilla to the sauce as well. Had the kids helping with the fruit prep, and it was ready in no time! 5 stars for sure!!!
Very good. Made for christmas breakfast for my vegan sister, and the non-vegans gobbled it up too! Thanks!
I made this for New Year's Day--my husband and son loved it. We have been eating a vegan diet for nine months now----and this made a beautiful, healthy dessert. The tofu dressing was very tasty. The only thing I might try next time is eliminate the coconut---not really needed. Thanks for sharing, Tish.