1/1 Photo of Turkey Stuffing With Very Low Sodium
1 hr 15 mins
Great tasting stuffing with very low sodium, suitable for heart patients, but anyone can enjoy this. Good texture, too. From Donald Gazzaniga's "The No-Salt, Lowest-Sodium Cookbook." This is only a challenge to "the slowest choppers in the Western Hemisphere" who don't have a food processor handy. Anyone else can slash my preparation time. To keep the sodium very low, it is important to make your own very-low sodium bread, such as Italian Milano Sourdough Bread from the same book. In a pinch, use a low-sodium white bread, some groceries stock it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs italian milano sourdough bread, toasted and cubed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 2 medium apples, medium to large apples, chopped
- 1 cup dry-roasted pecans, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder with parsley (Lawry's California Blend)
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup dried apricot, chopped (optional)
- 1Bake Italian Milano Sourdough Bread in bread machine. Slice ten 3/4- to 1-inch slices from loaf. Toast each side on an ungreased baking sheet in your oven under the broiler until just golden brown. Cool and cut into small 1/2-inch cubes. You'll get about 16 cubes from each slice of bread.
- 2Melt butter in large saute pan or 6-quart pan.
- 3Saute onion, celery, mushrooms, apples, and pecans together.
- 4When vegetables and apples are cooked through, add bread crumbs and spices.
- 5Coat with buttered mixture and add apple juice to moisten. Add optional dried apricots.
- 6When ready to bake, put mixture into lightly oil-sprayed baking dish (9 x 13) and bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-30 minutes. If it's been refrigerated, heating time will take longer.
- 7Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Stuffing With Very Low Sodium
Serving Size: 1 (244 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 734.9
- Calories from Fat 531
- Total Fat 59.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 362.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 12.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
garlic powder with parsley