1 hr 15 mins
This recipe was featured on Giada De Laurentiis' "Everyday Italian". It comes from her Aunt Raffy, who created it when she wanted a stuffing that melded both Italian and American styles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium green apple
- 1 medium red apple
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 (6 ounce) bag dried cranberries
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage, meat removed from casing (can substitute sweet Italian pork sausage, if you prefer, Aunt Raffy uses pork, Giada likes turkey)
- 8 ounces steamed whole chestnuts (Aunt Raffy leaves them whole, Giada likes them chopped)
- 1/2 lb day old cornbread or 1/2 lb bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, pinched into pieces
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Core the apples and dice them into 1-inch cubes. Dice the onion into 1/2-inch cubes.
- 3Over medium low heat, sauté the apples and onion in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil melted together with the unsalted butter. Cook for 10 minutes, until softened. Add the wine, cranberries, salt, and pepper, and let simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool; set aside.
- 4Over medium high heat in a large pan, heat the remaining tablespoon olive oil and add the turkey sausage removed from the casings. Cook until browned well, breaking the pieces up with a wooden spatula or spoon, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- 5In a large bowl combine the sautéed fruit/onion mixture, cooked sausage, chestnuts (whole or chopped), cornbread, and red pepper flakes (if using). Toss gently but well. Add the chicken broth and 3/4 cup of the Parmesan and toss again (may add another 1/2 cup broth if you feel the stuffing is too dry).
- 6Oil a large casserole dish (8.5 x 8.5 inch) with olive oil or pan spray, then pour stuffing into dish. Be gentle when spreading it in the pan, you don't want to smash the bread cubes.
- 7Sprinkle over the remaining Parmesan, and dot with the butter pieces.
- 8Bake in 400 degree F oven on middle rack for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the top is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Sausage and Chestnut Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 766.9
- Calories from Fat 337
- Total Fat 37.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 126.9 mg
- Sodium 2721.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 14.0 g
- Protein 32.5 g