Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Long slow cookingalong with the bastings is the secret to producing a moist duck with all the fat cooked off the bird. It is one of my favorite recipes for duck. You can save the grease to use another time - the flavor increases but I have never done this and am leary of reusing fat. You can do this recipe using just salt & pepper instead of Tony Chachere but it is not as good
- 5 -7 lbs duck, cut in half
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup paprika
- tony chachere creole seasoning or just salt & pepper
- Rub the duck halves generously with Tony's seasoning Or use salt& Pepper but it is not the same Sprinkle skin side of the duck with the Paprika and place duck halves skin side up in an open pan.
- Pour the mixed oil& water over the duck halves.
- Cook in preheated 275F oven for 3-5 hours basting the ducks every half hour*Note the time is not wrong at least 3 hours and up to 5 hours.
Bergy, This was wonderful! DH actually cooked it and added 1 Tbsp of Soy Sauce and a little butter to the basting liquid. I definitely would not use just salt and pepper. The creole seasoning gives it so much flavor. In fact, DH left to go to the store to buy another duck to cook again.