This really is an excellent carrot cake.
Make and share this The Ultimate Carrot Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 (1 lb) bag carrot, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temp
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temp
- 1 (16 ounce) package confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, no pith attached
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 (12 ounce) package pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together the flours, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and ginger onto a sheet of waxed paper.
- Mix the sugars together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour mixture, grated carrots, chopped pecans, coconut and raisins.
- Stir until well blended.
- Grease and flour three 9 inch round cake pans.
- Line each prepared pan with wax or parchment paper that has also been greased and waxed.
- Pour equal amounts into each of the cake pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of each comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Turn out onto cooling racks, remove wax paper and allow to cool completely.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and cream cheese together until light.
- Add the confectioners sugar, orange peel and vanilla mixing until smooth.
- Spread frosting between layers and stack evenly.
- Frost the top and sides of cake.
- Decorate with perfect pecan halves.