1/1 Photo of The Chili Sauce Recipe
I have not yet tried this, but it is from an overdue library book (From Our Mothers' Kitchens) and I want to return the book tomorrow, so need to get the recipes I want to try copied down, pronto. The author of the book, Anita Stewart, says this recipe has been perfected over the years by herself and her mother. She says this is "the ultimate recipe" for chili sauce. When late summer rolls around this year, I'll definitely be trying this one! The prep time includes the time needed to let the tomato and onion mixture stand.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and slice tomatoes into very large bowl; add onions and salt and stir gently.
- 2Cover bowl and let stand for a minimum of 8 hours; overnight is best.
- 3Drain thoroughly and place in a large, heavy saucepan with a lid.
- 4Stir in celery, red peppers, pickling spice bundle, red pepper flakes and vinegar, then cover; over medium heat, bring this to a boil.
- 5Once boiling, uncover and simmer over low heat until thickened, at least two hours; stir often to prevent sticking.
- 6Add brown sugar and stir well; taste for sweetness (if your tomatoes are very tart or acidic, you may need a little more brown sugar).
- 7Simmer mixture until thickened again, about 25 minutes.
- 8Remove spice bundle in cheesecloth bag and discard.
- 9Ladle mixture into hot sterilized 2-cup jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace; seal jars.
- 10Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- 11Let cool at room temperature before refrigerating, or storing in a cool dark place for up to one year.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Chili Sauce Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (6786 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 374.2
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4785.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 83.3 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole mixed pickling spices