Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Tangy-sweet dressing--WITHOUT bacon grease!!!--and lots of interesting ingredients not usually found in Spinach Salad. The dressing is WONDERFUL on other types of salads too.
- 2 eggs
- 10 -12 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 (8 ounce) bags spinach (see NOTE)
- 1 (6 ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can bean sprouts
- 1 (6 ounce) can mandarin oranges
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 1⁄8 cup cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup catsup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Hard-boil two eggs (place in pot of water, bring to a boil; boil 3 minutes, turn off the heat--let sit in hot water 11 minutes, then pour off the water & cover with ice-cold tap water until cooled enough to handle); peel and slice or coarsely chop.
- While that is working, fry the bacon, crumble into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Toast the almonds to a light golden brown (watch carefully so they don't burn).
- Dump greens into a large serving bowl; set aside.
- Drain the chestnuts, sprouts and oranges (rinse with sink sprayer -- and let drip while the eggs and bacon are working); set aside.
- DRESSING: Add all these ingredients to a blender and PULSE whirl until well-mixed (but NOT pulverized---you want to see little flecks of onion in there).
- Add water chestnuts, sprouts and oranges to the greens.
- Drizzle dressing lightly over salad; toss gently.
- Serve salad along with remaining dressing.
- NOTE: Make one bag spinach, the other bag Romaine or a mixture of something interesting.