Adapted from the "Original Thai Cookbook". Has all the typical Thai stir-fry flavors in it. You could use dried mushrooms if you wish, but be sure to soak them first.
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 onion, cut into slivers
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 5 green onions, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- Thai red chili pepper, slivered (amount to taste)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar or 1 teaspoon palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- steamed jasmine rice
- In a small dish, mix together vinegar, fish sauce and brown sugar until brown sugar dissolves; set aside.
- Heat oil in wok and stir-fry onions, garlic and chicken for 2 minutes for 2-3 minutes or until onions are limp.
- Add soy sauce, ginger, mint, mushrooms, green onions, chilies and cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Working fast, add vinegar, brown sugar, and fish sauce mixture to chicken and take off the heat.
- Serve at once with steamed jasmine rice.