Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 33 mins
Guests pedal their way to an outdoor feast in Key West, FL.Shaded by palm fronds and papaya trees, guests dining at the Shields home prop their vehicles in the backyard. Donna Shields beams as her guests start to arrive on bikes. There is a roast wrapped in green banana leaves next to a spicy-sweet potato casserole - which is what we prepared and it is an interesting dish!!! (The way I described it appears that we went to the dinner - no we just prepared the sweet potato casserole) Holiday gatherings are notorious for rich fare, but healthy options don't have to be mundane.;) Coastal Living Magazine, November 2008 Edition.
- Bake potatoes at 400ºF on oven rack 1 hour or until soft.
- Cool, remove skins.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl; add butter.
- Beat potatoes at medium speed with an electric beater until mashed.
- Stir in jalapenos, 1 cup cheese, salt and pepper.
- Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 9 X 13" or 3 quart shallow baking dish; srinklle remaining 1 cup cheese over top.
- Bake at 400ºF for 30 minutes or until the edges are bubbly and the cheese is melted.
- Heat broiler.
- Broil casserole 3 minutes or until cheese is golden and crispy.
Really good. I halved this as I had one 2 1/2 lb sweet potato, & peeled it before baking. We loved the crust that forms with the cheese on top! Love the jalapenos in this mix as well. Thanks for posting!