This makes a beautiful presentation, and tastes so yummy (the kids will never know it's got VEGETABLES in it!) A friend passed along the recipe (after we all raved) from a 1978 vegetarian cookbook.
- Prepare the short crust (or get your Pillsbury out of the fridge!) Line an 11-inch quiche pan with it, and pre-bake.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and carrots and grate by hand or shred in food processor.
- Put them in a pot, douse with boiling, salted water, bring to a boil, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Wash the cranberries removing soft or brown berries.
- Put them in a non-reactive pot with sugar and cook them covered, over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid and cook the berries 5 minutes more, stirring constantly-- you want them soft, but not popped.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and cook for 4 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Beat together the milk, eggs, cream cheese, nutmeg and salt.
- Stir in the vegetable mixture and pour the filling carefully into the prepared shell.
- Bake at 375°F for 40 minutes or until the filling is firm.
- Can be made day before and re-warmed.
- Can serve hot or at room temperature.