Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This was in last Sunday's paper and I made it to bring in to work today. Several of my coworkers enthused over it and requested the recipe. The recipe called for one cup of chopped nuts, but I left them out.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 (4 ounce) jarsstrained plum baby food
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Combine sugar and oil; mix in eggs.
- Sift flour, spices, baking soda, and salt into a separate bowl, then add to sugar mixture, alternating with buttermilk, and ending with the flour mixture.
- Add nuts (if using) and baby food and mix well.
- Pour into a bundt pan that has been greased and floured and bake at 325 degrees for one hour (or until cake tester comes out clean).
- Let rest on cooling rack 20 minutes.
- Turn out to cool completely.
- Combine icing ingredients and drizzle over top.
I have been making this cake for several years. I got the recipe from a TOH cookbook. I love it. Actually took it to my county fair a couple of years ago and won a 2nd place ribbon.