1/1 Photo of Stuffed Cabbage with Cranberry Sauce
32 hrs 15 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
This is from one of my favorite cookbook authors, Joan Nathan. It's a great combination of Jewish and American cuising, perfect for Thanksgiving or Sukkot
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- lemon, juice of
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 apple
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1Mix the cranberry sauce, tomato sauce, 1 cup water, lemon, and sugar in a saucepan.
- 2Bring to a boil; then add the raisins and the fresh cranberries.
- 3Peel, core, and dice the apple and add.
- 4Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- 5Core the cabbage and place in a large pot with water to cover.
- 6Bring to a boil and then simmer, covered, about 10 minutes or until wilted.
- 7Cover with cold water and drain.
- 8(Alternately, you can place the cored cabbage in the freezer for several days. Defrost 24 hours before making the cabbage. It will wilt naturally.) In a large bowl mix the meat, rice, salt and freshly ground pepper to taste, egg, onion, 1/2 cup water, and ketchup, blending with your fingers until well mixed.
- 9Trim the ribs off the cabbage, remove the outside leaves, and line a large flameproof casserole with them.
- 10Pull off the inside leaves and place them one by one on a board, outside down.
- 11Fill with a heaping tablespoon or two of the filling, depending on the size of the leaf.
- 12Fold up like an envelope, top first, then bottom and then the 2 sides.
- 13Place seam side down in the lined casserole.
- 14Repeat with the rest of the cabbage and the filling.
- 15Pour the sauce over the stuffed cabbage and simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- 16Then place the stuffed cabbage in a preheated 300 degree Fahrenheit oven and bake, uncovered, for one half hour more.
- 17Tip: Another American way to make this dish is to make a sauce of 3/4 cup ketchup, 1- 1/2-2 cups tomato juice, 3/4 cup brown sugar, the juice of 1 large lemon, and sour salt to taste.
- 18Make this dish ahead.
- 19It tastes much better the next day.
- 20Also, this is a good recipe to double.
- 21Freeze one portion for unexpected guests.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Cabbage with Cranberry Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (469 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 505.6
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 103.5 mg
- Sodium 507.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 44.3 g
- Protein 25.7 g