Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Idea for Thanksgiving this year. From Barefoot Contessa
Make and share this Spinach Gratin recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large sweet onions
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 5 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 15 minutes.
- Add the flour and nutmeg and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes.
- Add the cream and milk and cook until thickened.
- Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach and add the spinach to the sauce.
- Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the spinach to a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan and the Gruyere on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Serve hot.
I made this for Thanksgiving this year too. It was absolutely FABULOUS!! The best spinach gratin ever - no need to look for another recipe. It is very rich - but oh, so good. I will be making this every year over the holdiays - without a doubt. The leftovers were great too. Try it with her mashed potatoes and gravy which are amazing for vegetarians (as long as you include dairy!) Thanks for posting!