Kozmic Blues's Note:
Idea for Thanksgiving this year. From Barefoot Contessa
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large sweet onions
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 5 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 1Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium heat.
- 3Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 15 minutes.
- 4Add the flour and nutmeg and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes.
- 5Add the cream and milk and cook until thickened.
- 6Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach and add the spinach to the sauce.
- 7Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and mix well.
- 8Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- 9Transfer the spinach to a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan and the Gruyere on top.
- 10Bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- 11Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (338 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 360.0
- Calories from Fat 235
- Total Fat 26.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 82.9 mg
- Sodium 1260.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 17.2 g