1/1 Photo of Spicy Pumpkin Soup
I use a heaping tablespoon of dried chili flakes and I add in cayenne pepper also, my family loves extreme spice, but you can adjust the heat level to suit you taste, the brown sugar and whipping cream tones down the heat quite a lot! A nice presentaion to serve to guests would be to serve the soup in roasted carved-out sugar pumpkins!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 small celery, diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes (can use more or less!)
- 2 -4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 (15 ounce) cans pumpkin puree
- 5 cups chicken broth or 5 cups turkey broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream or 2 cups full-fat milk
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- croutons or toasted pumpkin seeds, for topping
- 1In a large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat; add in the onions, celery dried chili flakes, curry powder and coriander; saute for 3-4 minutes.
- 2Add in the garlic and saute for another 3-4 minutes.
- 3Add in the pumpkin puree and 5 cups broth; bring to a boil, stirring to blend well, reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- 4Cool the soup slightly then (in batches) blend or process the soup until smaooth; return to the pot.
- 5Heat the soup and then add in the brown sugar; mix to completely combine the sugar.
- 6Add in the half and half cream and the whipping cream, season with salt and pepper, then cook until heated through.
- 7Add in cayenne pepper if desired.
- 8Ladle into bowls, top with croutons or toasted pumpkin seeds.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Pumpkin Soup
Serving Size: 1 (428 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 390.8
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 77.3 mg
- Sodium 741.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 16.5 g
- Protein 9.5 g