Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I use a heaping tablespoon of dried chili flakes and I add in cayenne pepper also, my family loves extreme spice, but you can adjust the heat level to suit you taste, the brown sugar and whipping cream tones down the heat quite a lot! A nice presentaion to serve to guests would be to serve the soup in roasted carved-out sugar pumpkins!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 small celery, diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes (can use more or less!)
- 2 -4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 (15 ounce) cans pumpkin puree
- 5 cups chicken broth or 5 cups turkey broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream or 2 cups full-fat milk
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- croutons or toasted pumpkin seeds, for topping
- In a large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat; add in the onions, celery dried chili flakes, curry powder and coriander; saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and saute for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the pumpkin puree and 5 cups broth; bring to a boil, stirring to blend well, reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Cool the soup slightly then (in batches) blend or process the soup until smaooth; return to the pot.
- Heat the soup and then add in the brown sugar; mix to completely combine the sugar.
- Add in the half and half cream and the whipping cream, season with salt and pepper, then cook until heated through.
- Add in cayenne pepper if desired.
- Ladle into bowls, top with croutons or toasted pumpkin seeds.
Wow Kitten! was this soup good. We really enjoyed this tasty dish, served with fresh challah bread. The soup is sweet, thick, velvety, smooth and spicy, (but by choice), it was a nice heat. My first thought was that it was sweet then I started tasting the heat from the spices kick in, absolutely delicious. Thanks so much for sharing.
I wish I could give you another half a star, but the rating system doesn't allow it. Wow, was this ever spicy. maybe a little too spicy for me, but I did enjoy it as best I could. This is more in line with what my father likes because he likes spicy foods, so I try to appreciate such things and give them a try every once in a while. I feel bad for not giving a better rating though.