This I came up with a combo of a couple of recipes. Hey sweet potato will be an other good one to use in here to replace the butternut. Go easy adding wet ingredients or if the dough is to sticky go ahead and use a little more flour. Give a basket full of these for a house warming gift. Method for pureeing butternut Pureed Squash Butternut, Acorn Any Hard Winter Squash!
- 2 cups cooked mashed butternut squash or 2 cups pumpkin
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pecans, crushed
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, spices, and sugar, stir in pecans.
- Mix together the squash, butter and buttermilk.
- Mix together dry and wet ingredients.
- Using only enough wet or dry to make a soft dough.
- Shape the dough into a ball and knead lightly on a well-floured board.
- Roll the dough out 1-inch thick and cut with a 2-inch biscuit cutter.
- Bake in a greased baking pan in a 400°F oven for 15-20 minutes or until brown.