1/1 Photo of Southern Cornbread Dressing in Acorn Squash
1 hr 20 mins
Traditionally, southern dressing or stuffing is baked alongside a hen or turkey. This is pretty much the same dressing recipe but it's baked inside acorn squash. The squash keeps the dressing from drying out and provides another side dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth (may need more or less)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, to taste (I like mine peppery)
- 6 slices stale bread, cubed
- 4 cups cornbread, crumbled
- 2 whole eggs, beaten
- 4 small acorn squash (small size, about 4 pounds total)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2In a skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter on medium heat and cook onion and celery for 3 to 4 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.
- 3Add chicken broth, sage, thyme and pepper to taste and cook over medium heat for 1 minute.
- 4In a large bowl, combine bread cubes and cornbread. Pour broth/vegetable mixture over all and stir to combine. If the mixture is dry or crumbly looking, add broth until it will hold together.
- 5Stir in the eggs. (Stirring in the eggs last prevents the hot broth from scrambling them.).
- 6Cut acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Cut a small slice off the sides, so the squash will lay flat in the baking dish.
- 7Generously brush insides of squash with melted butter.
- 8Spoon a heaping 1/2 cup of the stuffing mixture in each squash half and place in a large shallow baking dish. Drizzle on any remaining melted butter.
- 9Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour or until squash is tender and dressing is warmed through. If desired, remove foil during the last 10 minutes to brown up the top.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Cornbread Dressing in Acorn Squash
Serving Size: 1 (351 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.6
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 75.7 mg
- Sodium 414.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 6.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: