This is an easy, traditional, slightly sweet Southern cornbread. I often make a batch to use in my homemade stuffing/dressing casserole. It freezes well after cooking.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray 9x9-inch baking pan with Bakers' Joy or grease and flour.
- In large bowl, add all dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add liquid ingredients and stir by hand just enough to mix; do not over-mix.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
- Cut into nine 3-inch squares.
- Variation: Substitute non-fat buttermilk for the skim milk and add 1/2 tsp. baking soda.