Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an easy, traditional, slightly sweet Southern cornbread. I often make a batch to use in my homemade stuffing/dressing casserole. It freezes well after cooking.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray 9x9-inch baking pan with Bakers' Joy or grease and flour.
- In large bowl, add all dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add liquid ingredients and stir by hand just enough to mix; do not over-mix.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
- Cut into nine 3-inch squares.
- Variation: Substitute non-fat buttermilk for the skim milk and add 1/2 tsp. baking soda.
This was a very good recipe! I made one substitution: I swapped the oil for unsweetened applesauce. This made the cornbread rather more like a cake though, but it was still delicious. My son loves it! For 8 servings, with the applesauce substitution, one serving has 3 ww points! Very yummy! Good with ham and beans!
Thanks Beachgirl for a great cornbread recipe without the guilt! I made it with whole wheat pastry flour, applesauce instead of oil, and Splenda. It turned out very good. We had it with chili and it was a nice compliment to the chili. We will use this recipe often. Carole in Orlando
YUMMY!!! Just finished my dinner of cornmeal coated catfish, spicy rice with red beans and cornbread and it was scrumptious! Such an easy recipe and it came out of the pan so easy that it went right from oven to table. Thanks Beachgirl!