Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
The Southern Comfort in this recipe lends a wonderful flavor to the yams! I made this last year for my family (who usually prefer plain glazed chunky yams), and they loved it. :)
- 2 (29 ounce) cans yams or 2 (29 ounce) cans sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup Southern Comfort
- 1 bag large marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Drain and rinse the yams.
- In a food processor, combine together the yams (sweet potatoes), butter, spices, salt, brown sugar, orange juice, eggs, and Southern Comfort.
- Pour into rectangular casserole dish or lasagna pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes, checking to see that the center of the potato mixture is cooked.
- After it' s cooked, take it out and place large marshmallows end-to-end all over the top; they will melt slightly from the heat of the potatoes, but that's okay.
- About 10-15 minutes before you're going to serve the yams, place them under the broiler in the oven for about 5 to 10 minutes until they're golden brown - be careful they don't burn.
- Serve and enjoy!
I LOVE southern cooking. I planned to serve this for Thanksgiving Dinner so I made it to see how it will come out first. It was REALLY good. My kids who would not even look at yams actually liked it. My husband who is originally from South Carolina was impressed. It brought me back to Georgia. Thanks for posting.