All you need to smoke this turkey is a grill with a lid and a bag of hickory chips. Braising the turkey results in marvelously complex flavors; sweet, bitter and herbaceous. We used french roast and 1 1/2 cups brown sugar and 1 cup cane syrup (Highly recommend). Recipe adapted from Allison Vines-Rushing and Slade Rushing From Rushing Home for Thanksgiving WINE: Try a Virginia Riesling such as Windham Riesling (2005) with this complex dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 gallons water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup french roast ground coffee or 1/2 cup ground chicory coffee
- 1 large onion, halved
- 12 large fresh thyme sprigs, tied together
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 cups light brown sugar or 3 cups cane syrup
- 1 (11 lb) whole turkey
- 3 cups hickory chips
- vegetable oil, for brushing
- 1Bring 1 gallon of the water to a boil in a large pot and keep warm.
- 2In a stockpot large enough to hold the turkey, combine cider vinegar, coffee, onion, thyme, salt and peppercorns with 1 3/4 cups of the brown sugar or syrup (or 3/4 of the brown sugar/syrup mixture) and the remaining gallon of water. Bring to a boil.
- 3Hold turkey by legs and ease into the hot brine, neck end down. Add enough of the hot water to the stockpot to cover turkey and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- 4Remove turkey from the stockpot. Strain 2 cups of the braising liquid into a heatproof bowl and stir in the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar or remaining cane syrup (or remaining brown sugar/syrup mixture). Discard the remaining liquid.
- 5Meanwhile, light a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill.
- 6Right before the turkey has finished simmering, add 2 cups of the hickory chips to the coals. When the chips start smoking, brush the turkey breast with oil. Set the turkey, breast side down, on the grill.
- 7Cover & smoke over a low flame for 15 minutes. Baste turkey with reserved braising liquid - turn it breast side up and baste again. Cover grill and continue smoking for about 40 minutes longer, basting occasionally with braising liquid and adding more coals or hickory chips to grill as necessary.
- 8The turkey is done when a thermometer inserted in the inner thigh registers 165°.
- 9Place the turkey on a cutting board and let rest 20 minutes before carving.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoked Turkey With Sweet Coffee Glaze
Serving Size: 1 (1012 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 634.6
- Calories from Fat 219
- Total Fat 24.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 206.9 mg
- Sodium 2583.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 35.8 g
- Protein 62.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs