My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (12 -14 lb) whole turkey, giblets removed, rinsed and patted dry
- 12 wood chunks (orange or hickory)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 oranges, scrubbed, additional oranges may be used for garnish
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 bunch fresh sage
- 3 heads garlic, cut crosswise in half
- 1 (6 ounce) package garlic & herb spreadable cheese
- 1At least 1 hour before cooking, soak wood chunks in enough water to cover.
- 2Preheat coals.
- 3Rub the turkey cavity with salt.
- 4Cut oranges into 2-inch chunks.
- 5Place the cut oranges, sage and garlic in the cavity.
- 6Loosen the breast skin and spread the cheese spread underneath.
- 7Tuck the wings under the back and tie legs together.
- 8Rub the turkey with oil, juice from an orange, chopped sage, salt and pepper.
- 9In a smoker, arrange preheated coals, half of the drained wood chunks and the water pan according to the manufacturer's directions.
- 10Add water and orange juice to water pan.
- 11Cover and smoke for 5 – 6 hours until thermometer registers 180°F when inserted in the breast.
- 12Throughout, add more coals, wood chunks, and water/juice as needed.
- 13Remove turkey to platter.
- 14Cover with foil to keep warm.
- 15Rest at least 5 minutes prior to carving.
- 16Reserve any drippings for Orange Turkey Gravy with Sage.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoked Garlic and Orange Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (495 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 698.8
- Calories from Fat 289
- Total Fat 32.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 270.9 mg
- Sodium 1657.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 83.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
garlic & herb spreadable cheese