Mrs Goodall's Note:
This is the most incredible green bean casserole. The mushroom base is just fabulous tasting with the porcinis in it. When it's time to plan our Thanksgiving, everyone says "are you gonna make your green bean casserole?" with a hopeful look in their eyes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices sandwich bread, with crusts and each slice torn into quarters
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups canned fried onions (about 6 ounces)
- 2 lbs green beans, ends trimmed and cut on the diagonal into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced, about 1 tablespoon
- 12 ounces white button mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup canned low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2Pulse bread, butter, salt, and pepper in workbowl of food processor fitted with metal blade until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about ten 1-second pulses. Transfer to large bowl and toss with onions; set aside.
- 4Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- 5Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add 2 tablespoons salt and beans.
- 6Cook until bright green and slightly crunchy, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 7Drain beans and plunge immediately into large bowl filled with ice water to stop cooking.
- 8Spread beans out onto paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
- 9Meanwhile, cover dried porcini with ½ cup hot tap water in small microwave-safe bowl; cover with plastic wrap, cut several steam vents with paring knife, and microwave on high power for 30 seconds. Let stand until mushrooms soften, about 5 minutes.
- 10Lift mushrooms from the liquid with fork and mince using chef's knife (you should have about 2 tablespoons).
- 11Pour liquid through paper towel-lined sieve and reserve.
- 12Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until foaming subsides, about 1 minute. Add onion, garlic, button mushrooms, and cremini mushrooms and cook until mushrooms release their moisture, about 2 minutes.
- 13Add porcini mushrooms along with their strained soaking liquid, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper and cook until all mushrooms are tender and liquid has reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 5 minutes.
- 14Add flour and cook for just over 1 minute.
- 15Stir in chicken broth and reduce heat to medium.
- 16Stir in cream and simmer gently until sauce has consistency of dense soup, about 15 minutes.
- 17Arrange beans in 3-quart gratin dish.
- 18Pour mushroom mixture over beans and mix to coat beans evenly.
- 19Sprinkle with bread crumb mixture and bake until top is golden brown and sauce is bubbling around edges, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sheila's Green Bean Casserole - West
Serving Size: 1 (338 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 419.5
- Calories from Fat 310
- Total Fat 34.5 g
- Saturated Fat 21.2 g
- Cholesterol 112.0 mg
- Sodium 1947.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 7.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: