This asparagus casserole is baked with white sauce, made with cheese and a topping of buttered bread crumbs. I found this recipe at southernfoods.com and was impressed that it was so easy to make as well as tasty.
- 2 lbs asparagus
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 3⁄4 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 whole roasted red pepper, drained and chopped to fill 1/4 cup
- Wash asparagus, remove woody part of stalks and cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces.
- Cook asparagus in boiling salted water until just tender.
- Drain and place in a shallow baking dish or casserole.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in saucepan.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of the butter with the soft bread crumbs; set aside for topping casserole later.
- Blend flour, salt, and pepper into remaining butter in saucepan.
- Continue cooking and stirring over low heat.
- Gradually add milk, stirring until thickened.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, red pepper, and cheese; stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour sauce over asparagus in casserole; top with buttered crumbs.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
made as written plus added a previously grilled left over chicken breast. It only enhanced a great recipe. The red pepper is a great visual addition. I don't believe it adds to the flavor. Thanks. I was so tired of steamed asparagus.
I loved this recipe and used it for part of our Easter meal and plan on using it every year. I do not care for the peppers so didn't use them and used mild cheddar instead of the sharp. I loved it but think next time I will also use sharp cheddar instead of the mild.
This was pretty good... my DH went for seconds and my picky 6 year old even ate it. I modified it a bit. I used 1 lb of fresh asparagus, 4 tbsp butter total, 1 cup milk (1%) and substituted mozzarella for the cheddar. I also sprinkled in some seasoning salt to the milk mixture before pouring it on top of the asparagus. I'm not a huge asparagus fan so that's why only 4 stars. Overall it was good and I will make again. It's a good way to disguise the vegetables.