1/1 Photo of Scalloped Asparagus Casserole
This asparagus casserole is baked with white sauce, made with cheese and a topping of buttered bread crumbs. I found this recipe at southernfoods.com and was impressed that it was so easy to make as well as tasty.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs asparagus
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 3/4 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 whole roasted red pepper, drained and chopped to fill 1/4 cup
- 1Wash asparagus, remove woody part of stalks and cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces.
- 2Cook asparagus in boiling salted water until just tender.
- 3Drain and place in a shallow baking dish or casserole.
- 4Melt 2 tablespoons butter in saucepan.
- 5Mix 2 tablespoons of the butter with the soft bread crumbs; set aside for topping casserole later.
- 6Blend flour, salt, and pepper into remaining butter in saucepan.
- 7Continue cooking and stirring over low heat.
- 8Gradually add milk, stirring until thickened.
- 9Add Worcestershire sauce, red pepper, and cheese; stir until cheese is melted.
- 10Pour sauce over asparagus in casserole; top with buttered crumbs.
- 11Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
Browse Our Top Peppers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scalloped Asparagus Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (409 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 417.6
- Calories from Fat 266
- Total Fat 29.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.4 g
- Cholesterol 85.1 mg
- Sodium 701.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 16.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted red peppers