To save some time you can toast the bread cubes will in advance and freeze them until ready to use in the dish --- turkey sausage or Italian sausages can be used for this, also adjust the sage amount to suit taste --- a 1-pound day-old loaf of French or Italian bread will work great for this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 cups toasted bread cubes (from white bread, crusts removed)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb turkey sausage, casings removed (mild or spicy) or 1 lb Italian sausage (mild or spicy)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste) (optional)
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms (very well drained, or use fresh sauteed mushrooms)
- 2 medium granny smith apples (peeled, cored and chopped into about 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 1/2 cups coarsley chopped pecans, toasted (or use toasted walnuts)
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries (can use more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried sage (or to taste, or use 1 tablespoon fresh chopped)
- black pepper
- 1 1/2-2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth or 1 1/2-2 1/2 cups turkey broth
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1Butter a 4-quart casserole dish.
- 2In a large skillet melt butter; add in the sausage meat with onions, celery, garlic and cayenne pepper (if using); cook breaking up the meat with a spoon until the meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender (about 7-10 minutes).
- 3Add in apples and mushrooms and cook 2 minutes.
- 4Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- 5Stir in the the nuts, toasted bread cubes and dried cranberries; toss to mix well with wooden spoon.
- 6Season with sage, lots black pepper and salt (I use seasoned salt but white salt will do).
- 7Transfer the mixture to a buttered casserole dish and drizzle with chicken or turkey broth (using about 1-1/2 cups for a drier stuffing, or use up to 2 cups for a moister stuffing).
- 8Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top.
- 9Bake covered in foil in a 350 degree F oven (second-lowest rack) for 30 minutes; uncover and bake until bread is golden brown and the stuffing is heated through, about 20-25 minutes more.
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage Stuffing Bake
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 473.9
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 45.0 mg
- Sodium 655.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 16.2 g