1/1 Photo of Roasted Red Onion Panzanella
1 hr 20 mins
This recipe came from Chef Craig Stoll, chef and owner of the Delfina restaurant in San Fransisco, California. I did scale down the recipe to feed 12. You can easily cut this recipe in half. Great for a crowd for the holidays!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Roasted Red Onions
- 4 -5 medium red onions (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt, as desired
- fresh ground black pepper, as desired
Sherry Wine Vinaigrette
- 1For the onions:.
- 2Cut unskinned onions lengthwise, through the roots, into sixths. Mix onions with olive oil, vinegar and salt and pepper. Spread onions on a baking sheet and roast at 350*F for 25 minutes. Turn the onions over and roast for 20-25 minutes more, or till onions are lightly browned on the outside and soft and creamy inside. Cool.
- 3When onions are cool, remove outer skin and cut off roots, and separate into petals. Combine cooked onion with any juices that occured during cooking in a bowl and set aside.
- 4For vinaigrette:.
- 5Combine the vinegar and shallots in a bowl. Soak for 10 minutes. Whisk in olive oil a little at a time till emulsified.
- 6Cut crust off bread. Tear the bread into bite sized pieces(1"). Toss the bread in a bowl with the olive oil. Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350*F. for 10 minutes or till lightly browned.
- 7For each serving place 1 1/2 cups bread in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add about 1 1/2 tbls. vinaigrette and 1 tbls. hot stock. Toss until bread absorbs the liquids. Combine bread with 1/4 teaspoons thyme, 1/2 cup greens, 1 teaspoons pine nuts and 2 or 3 cherry tomato halves. Top with 1/2 cup roasted onions. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Red Onion Panzanella
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 558.5
- Calories from Fat 365
- Total Fat 40.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 440.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 7.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sherry wine vinegar