Chef #208121's Note:
This has been a family request every Thanksgiving. I have used the sage butter for turkey breasts. This brings out the flavor of the turkey without hiding it enhancing what is already there. You MUST baste. Else you end up with my sister's Desert Turkey. Origin was an Epicurious recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook bacon in heavy large skillet over medium heat until brown and crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towels and drain. Crumble bacon finely. Mix butter, sage and bacon in medium bowl. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill. If using return to room temperature.
- 2Pat turkey dry. Season cavity with salt and pepper. Place leeks, fennel, 8 sage sprigs and bay leaves in cavity. Loose the skin of the Turkey breast and spread 1/3 cup sage butter over breast meat. Put Turkey on roasting rack. Rub 2 tablespoons sage butter over outside of turkey. Set aside 1/3 cup butter for gravy; save the rest for basting. Can be made 1 day ahead if you return it to room temp before continue. Cover, chill.
- 3Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 350°F.
- 4Pour 1/3 cup broth over turkey. Roast turkey until thermometer inserted into thickest part of inner thigh registers 180°F.
- 5NOTE be sure to baste every 30 minutes with 1/3 cup broth and occasionally brushing with sage butter. Transfer turkey to platter; tent with foil. Let stand 30 minutes.
- 6Remove rack from pan. Pour off juices and skim then return to pan. Set pan over 2 burners set on high heat. Add 2 cups broth. Boil until liquid is reduced to 2 cups, scraping up browned bits, about 10 minutes. Whisk in reserved 1/3 cup sage butter. Season with pepper. Transfer gravy to bowl.
- 7Uncover platter. Garnish with sage and parsley.
- 8Note Time is guess because conditions vary. Use a thermometer.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Turkey With Sage Butter
Serving Size: 1 (756 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1207.3
- Calories from Fat 642
- Total Fat 71.4 g
- Saturated Fat 25.8 g
- Cholesterol 462.5 mg
- Sodium 560.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 127.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: