Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Roast Turkey With Sage and Thyme recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (14 lb) frozen whole turkey, thawed (can use fresh turkey)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened and divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh sage leaf
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 pears or 1 apple, halved
- 2 celery ribs, halved
- 1 large onion, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- flat leaf parsley or pecans or seckle pears or Muscadine grapes or fresh sage leaves or fresh thyme sprig
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from turkey. Rinse turkey with cold water, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Loosen skin from turkey breast without totally detaching skin( sort of make a pocket). Stir together 2 tablespoons, butter, salt and pepper. Rub butter mixture evenly over turkey breast under skin. Carefully place sage leaves and thyme sprigs evenly on each side of breat under skin. Replace skin.
- Place pear halves, celery, onion, and garlic inside cavity. Place turkey breast side up, on a lightly greased wire rack in an aluminum foil lined shallow roasting pan. Rub entire turkey evenly with remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Bake at 325F for 2 hours and 45 minutes to 3 hours and 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°F Basting turkey every 30 minutes with pan drippings. (Prevent overcooking by checking for doneness after 2 hours)Remove turkey from roasting pan, and let sand 20 minutes before slicing. Garnish.