This is a classic French Chanukah dish, but is good for any holiday.
Make and share this Roast Goose with Caramelized Apples recipe from Food.com.
- Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Rinse goose inside and out; pat dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Using knife, cut small slits all over goose; place garlic slices into slits.
- Place goose on rack, breast side down, in large roasting pan.
- Roast goose 2 hours 45 minutes, basting occasionally with drippings and removing excess fat; reserve 6 tablespoons fat.
- Turn goose over.
- Roast until brown and thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175°F, basting occasionally with drippings, about 45 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, toss apples and lemon juice in large bowl.
- Pour 6 tablespoons goose fat into 15 x 10 x 2-inch glass baking dish.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer apples to baking dish; toss apples in goose fat.
- Add sugar, Calvados and cinnamon to apples; toss.
- Bake apples alongside goose until very tender and golden, about 1 hour.
- Serve goose with caramelized apples.
Made this for Father's Day holiday! lol Wonderful and delightful! I purchased a frozen goose last weekend and as it slowly defrosted DH asked me every day when I would make this recipe! He was so not disappointed! Thanks, Mirj! Made for ZWT5, Kitchen Witches!