I added in a small amount of soy sauce and some cayenne pepper, but that is optional, this is really good! You can double this recipe if desired!
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (add in more later if needed)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried ginger (or use fresh ginger)
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste) (optional)
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- black pepper (optional)
- Reserve 3/4 cup broth and pour the remainder into a medium saucepan; add in salt, ginger, garlic (if using) and chives.
- Bring to a rolling boil.
- In a cup or small bowl stir together the remaining broth and cornstarch until smooth; set aside.
- In another small bowl whisk the eggs and the egg yolk together until well combined.
- While the soup is boiling drizzle the egg mixture a small amount at a time into the boiling soup (the egg should cook immediately).
- Once the eggs have all been dropped into the soup, reduce to a light simmer; slowly and add in the cornstarch/broth mixture mixing continuously.