I started making this soup years ago to copy a local restaurants, and after becoming frustrated at attempting to cook my own sugar pumpkins with very mixed and time consuming results!! This soup is from pantry ingredients, saves wonderfully and is always a big hit, even for people who say- Gross! Pumpkin soup!
- Very Finely chop onion and saute in a small amount of butter until very soft and starting to caramelize.
- Then add pumpkin, stock, salt, pepper, spices and sweetening to taste.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, leave uncovered and chase the kids, clean the house, etc for one hour (or more)!
- After at least one hour, combine water and flour until thoroughly mixed.
- Increase heat and add to soup, boil until thickened (maybe a couple of minutes) Remove from heat and add cream.
- Enjoy with a good bread.
- Great prepared ahead!
- Cook until cream step, save in frig or freeze, then add cream in right before serving.
Delicious. The only thing I would suggest is to start with a lower amount of sugar and not add more until it simmers for a while. I used the full amount and loved it sweet but dh didn't agree.
I have always wanted to try a pumpkin soup. The taste was ok, however, I think it may just have been me. The soup tasted fine up until the addition of the chicken stock and it may have been due to it being homemade (although I always use homemade). I recommend a store bought variety for those who intend to make this. Personally I'm not a big fan of the onion/pumpkin together either.
Delicious and super easy to make. Tastes like pumpkin pie, but in soup form.