1/2 Photos of Pumpkin Pudding With Candied Ginger Whipped Cream
4 hrs 20 mins
This decadent pudding will blow your guests away! This is perfect for Thanksgiving Dessert. The recipe is a favorite from Grace Parisi of Food & Wine and it appeared in the Thanksgiving Cook It Now article. MAKE AHEAD The pumpkin pudding can be prepared through Step 3 and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Wine: The nutty caramel and spice notes in a tawny port such as Taylor Fladgate 20-year-old will blend with the warm spices in this pudding. Or try a New World sweet Sémillon such as the 2002 Yalumba botrytis from Australia. Cook time is 4 hours for refrigeration.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened pumpkin puree (One 15-ounce can)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1MAKE THE PUDDING: In a medium bowl, combine the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Using a handheld electric mixer, beat at medium speed until the egg yolk mixture is thickened and light yellow, about 4 minutes.
- 2In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and half-and-half until small bubbles appear around the rim. Gradually beat 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture, then add the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan. Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly with a heatproof rubber spatula, until the pudding is gently boiling and as thick as mayonnaise, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- 3In a small skillet, cook the pumpkin puree over high heat, stirring constantly, until slightly dry, about 3 minutes. Add the puree to the pudding along with the butter and vanilla and stir until the butter melts. Transfer the pudding to a large bowl and press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface. Refrigerate until very cold, about 4 hours.
- 4MAKE THE TOPPING: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the heavy cream with the confectioners' sugar and minced crystallized ginger at high speed until firm peaks form.
- 5Spoon the pudding into wine glasses or dessert bowls and dollop the ginger whipped cream on top. Sprinkle with the crumbled gingersnaps and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Pudding With Candied Ginger Whipped Cream
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 339.6
- Calories from Fat 220
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 140.2 mg
- Sodium 57.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 21.1 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: