Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
from todays NY Times, this is meatless and is easy to prepare. the porcinis and cognac give it a rich flavor. this is perfect if you prefer to cook your stuffing outside the bird, as i do.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup dried porcini mushrooms or 1 cup morel
- 1 cup calvados or 1 cup cognac
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- salt and black pepper
- 10 -12 cups torn sourdough bread (1 large loaf)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sage
- 1 cup applesauce
- 3⁄8 cup raisins or 3⁄8 cup dried cherries
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 1 -2 cup vegetable stock
- Heat oven to 375 degrees, and butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Soak mushrooms in 2 cups warm water about 30 minutes.
- Drain, reserving liquid.
- Thickly slice mushrooms.
- Meanwhile simmer Calvados in a saucepan until reduced to about 5 ounces.
- Melt remaining butter in large pan, add onions, and sauté until transparent.
- Sprinkle with salt if onions are browning too fast.
- Add sliced mushrooms, and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add bread, mushroom liquid, chopped parsley, rosemary and sage.
- Stir in reduced Calvados, applesauce, raisins, nuts and enough stock so mixture is moist but not wet.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Turn into buttered baking dish.
- Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, until firm and crusty.