1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
from todays NY Times, this is meatless and is easy to prepare. the porcinis and cognac give it a rich flavor. this is perfect if you prefer to cook your stuffing outside the bird, as i do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup dried porcini mushrooms or 1 cup morel
- 1 cup calvados or 1 cup cognac
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- salt and black pepper
- 10 -12 cups torn sourdough bread (1 large loaf)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sage
- 1 cup applesauce
- 3/8 cup raisins or 3/8 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or 1/2 cup pecans
- 1 -2 cup vegetable stock
- 1Heat oven to 375 degrees, and butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- 2Soak mushrooms in 2 cups warm water about 30 minutes.
- 3Drain, reserving liquid.
- 4Thickly slice mushrooms.
- 5Meanwhile simmer Calvados in a saucepan until reduced to about 5 ounces.
- 6Melt remaining butter in large pan, add onions, and sauté until transparent.
- 7Sprinkle with salt if onions are browning too fast.
- 8Add sliced mushrooms, and sauté 2 minutes.
- 9Add bread, mushroom liquid, chopped parsley, rosemary and sage.
- 10Stir in reduced Calvados, applesauce, raisins, nuts and enough stock so mixture is moist but not wet.
- 11Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 12Turn into buttered baking dish.
- 13Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, until firm and crusty.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Porcini Bread Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (307 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 176.1
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 19.0 mg
- Sodium 63.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried porcini mushrooms