A delicious recipe adapted from Gourmet magazine. Here's what they say: "Baked creminis bursting with a buttery pecan and garlic stuffing make for eye candy just waiting to be devoured."
- 24 baby portabella mushrooms, with stems (1 1/2-inch to 2-inch wide)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for greasing dish (original recipe called for unsalted butter-use if you wish or use 1/2 butter, 1/2 olive oil)
- 1 -2 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped (4 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- parsley, chopped to garnish
- Put oven rack in middle position in oven and preheat to 400°F.
- Trim ends of mushroom stems and separate caps and stems, reserving both. Arrange caps, stemmed sides up, in a buttered 13"x9" shallow baking dish.
- Finely chop stems(or process in food processor), then cook with garlic and oregano in butter(or olive oil) in a 10" heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in pecans, bread crumbs, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring frequently, 1 minute. Stir in 1/3 cup half and half and bring to a simmer, then remove from heat.
- Sprinkle insides of caps with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, then divide filling among the caps.
- Drizzle mushrooms with the 2/3 cup cream and bake until filling is browned and caps are tender, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle over parsley to garnish. Serve mushrooms drizzled with pan juices.
- To make ahead:.
- Stuffed mushrooms can be put together, but not baked, 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before baking.
these are little bites of heaven!! i think the only thing i did differently was to scale the recipe down (there was just 2 of us having a little appy get-together), eyeball everything and add a small handful of gorgonzola crumbles to the mix before stuffing the mushrooms. great make-ahead recipe! thanks for sharing. will make again.
I took this to my friends' Xmas party and they loved them!!! The test is great. I only used one garlic clove, so it wasn't too much!!! A+ Now I have to make them tonite again for another party. They all requested them!!!!
These are just deliciously wonderful and I will be making them often during this holiday season! I did add some parmesan cheese and I love the addition of pecans! Mushrooms are one of my favorite appetizers and this is now one of my favorite appetizer recipes.