Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs 55 mins
Wonderful recipe a friend gave me last year, which became an instant Thanksgiving tradition.
Make and share this Orange-flavored Sweet Potatoes with Oatmeal Cookie Topping recipe from Food.com.
- 7 large sweet potatoes (about 5 pounds)
- 1⁄8 cup stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 14 crisp oatmeal cookies, broken into pieces (about 3 cups)
- 3⁄8-3⁄4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Butter a baking dish, 13X9X2 inches.
- Prick potatoes and bake in middle of oven until very soft, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Scoop flesh into a large bowl and mash with butter, sugar, juice, marmalade, gingerroot, and salt.
- Spread potato mixture evenly in baking dish.
- Mixture may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- Bring to room temperature before proceeding.
- ------------Forthe topping-------------------.
- Food process cookies to fine consistency.
- Add butter and pulse motor until mixture resembles soft cookie dough.
- Wrap topping in wax paper and chill until firm, about 2 hours.
- Topping may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Crumble topping over potato mixture and bake in middle of oven until topping is browned lightly, about 25 minutes.
I meet with friends for a dinner gathering onch a month. Each month we pick a type or theme for the food we bring. November has always been,"Traditional Thanksgiving". This will be the third year in a row that I have brought this dish and each year I am stongly urged to bring it again the following year. Bottom line, this is an excellent dish. Preparation is easy, most can be done in advance and is easily transported. Give this one a try. YUM !!!