1/3 Photos of Onion Ring Casserole - Aka Onion Fluff
1 hr 5 mins
In the dim recesses of my memory, I recall being served something like this at church potlucks when I was little. I figured I might as well try it out and write it down - someone might find it interesting and tasty. ;) The onion rings in this casserole bake into a nice kind of "onion fluff."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 ounces frozen onion rings (the minced onion kind)
- 13 3/4 ounces condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 7 ounces diced mild green chilies
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (approx a couple of cloves)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine or 3 tablespoons beer or 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese or 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Use pan spray to grease a large casserole baking dish.
- 3In a bowl combine the soup, chiles, garlic, beaten eggs, wine/beer/milk, sour cream, salt, and pepper, and stir well to incorporate.
- 4Place about 1/2 cup of the mixture on the bottom of the sprayed casserole dish.
- 5Place one layer of onion rings on the bottom of the dish, then a second layer on top of the first, overlapping where the rings touch each other (sort of like how the Olympic rings overlap).
- 6Pour half of the cheese mixture over the ring layers.
- 7Add another two layers, continuing with the overlapping.
- 8Pour the remaining half of cheese mixture over the top, using a spatula to try to cover as much of the rings as you can.
- 9Top with shredded cheddar (or Velveeta, if you really want to go that direction, but I think cheddar tastes better).
- 10Cover with casserole lid and bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden.
- 11Makes 8 to 10 side servings.
- 12Note: you can add other ingredients to this to make it more of a main dish/one dish meal, if you like, such as browned ground beef, hash browns or o'brien potatoes, and vegetables such as green beans or corn; it can probably also be done in a crockpot, somehow.
- 13Good with salsa and/or hot sauce, too!
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Ring Casserole - Aka Onion Fluff
Serving Size: 1 (107 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 213.1
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 119.1 mg
- Sodium 895.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 10.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
frozen onion rings