1/1 Photo of Old Fashioned Savoury Onion Stuffing
2 hrs 20 mins
This is an old family recipe from my father's family that was passed down by learning how to make it in the kitchen. I don't think I've ever seen it written down anywhere. My father never used to measure anything. He started teaching me how to make this when I was 10, and eventually (given that we only made this a few times a year, Thanksgiving, Christmas, sometimes Easter) when he decided I was doing it right, I became the one to make it. I found the soya sauce add-in years after I left home by experimentation... This recipe makes a lot, enought to stuff one huge turkey or two smaller ones. My kids prefer it heated in a covered casserole dish in the oven or microwave rather than cooked in the turkey, they think the turkey fat cooking in with it makes it gross. I suspect they would think that of any stuffing... Leftovers reheat well in the microwave, or can be frozen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 lbs onions, chopped
- 5 tablespoons summer savory (more if desired, I use about 10)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 slices bread, diced
- 2 tablespoons dark soya sauce (optional, this was never in the original recipe but we like it better with it)
- 1Melt the butter in a large saucepan (big enough to hold the onions) add the onions and 4 tablespoons of the summer savoury.
- 2Simmer at a low heat, stirring every five minutes or so until the onions are very tender, this takes an hour or two.
- 3Cook the potatoes until very tender, drain and mash with the milk.
- 4Add the onion mixture, the bread, 1 tablespoon summer savoury, salt, pepper and optionally the soya sauce.
- 5Mix well (I just use the potato masher and keep mashing until well combined).
- 6At the point I taste the mixture and adjust salt and pepper and start adding more summer savoury until it's where I like it.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Savoury Onion Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (154 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 172.0
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 17.4 mg
- Sodium 574.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 3.3 g