Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a unique potato salad with a great flavor.
Make and share this Nutty Sweet Potato Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (about 1 1/4 lbs)
- 3 tablespoons reduced-calorie mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts, , toasted
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1⁄8 teaspoon table salt, or to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- Steam sweet potato chunks until tender, about 10 minutes; cool to room temperature.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice and five-spice powder.
- Pour over sweet potatoes and toss gently.
- Add walnuts and currants; toss.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This recipe was exotic tasting and so delicious. I enjoyed the cinnamony flavor of the 5 spice powder, and my DH loved the addition of the roasted walnuts. I do have to admit to not liking the dressing. It tasted way way to lemony for us. I tinkered with it, adding more mayo and a pinch of salt and sugar to temper the sour taste. Next time I make this...and I will...I am going to use lemon yogurt with a spoonful of honey and at least a 1/2 tsp. of 5 spice powder. I always have fun making your recipes, Mirj!
I just loved this recipe and followed it exactly and found it perfect. To me it has a real middle eastern flavour to it. I served it with Lebanese skewered chicken Pieces and it complimented it beautifully. Thanks Mirj
DH and I both thought this had really good flavor. I followed the recipe exactly, but we just didn't care for the contrast in textures between the sweet potatoes, the raisins and the nuts combined. I think it is possible we might like it better if I steamed the sweet potatoes only until they are tender-crisp next time. Thank you for sharing Mirj.