Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This really is "my favorite carrot soup"! The fresh ginger is the key ingredient. I came across this recipe a few years ago in a magazine article about holiday family favorites and have been making it ever since. This soup is a snap to make and freezes beautifully! This soup is amazing!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and chunked
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chunked
- 5 cups vegetable broth or 5 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- toasted pumpkin seeds (optional) or chopped cilantro, garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Saute onions with ginger, cumin, and cayenne until onions are soft, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic when you think there is about 45 secs to 1 minute left to achieve the soft onions [Do not let the garlic burn].
- Add salt, carrots, potatoes, and broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add the peanut butter.
- Puree the soup. This is most easily done with a hand-blender right in the pot.
- Stir in orange juice.
- Ladle in bowls and garnish if desired.
- This soup freezes very well in tupperware. I'm sure it will freeze well for many months, however I don't know for sure because mine has never stayed frozen for longer than a month due to being eaten!
Made this as much for the freezing of it as anything else, & did use a homemade vegetable broth so I could share this with my vegetarian son & DIL! Very interesting & enjoyable flavor combination! Thanks for a great keeper of a recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]