This really is "my favorite carrot soup"! The fresh ginger is the key ingredient. I came across this recipe a few years ago in a magazine article about holiday family favorites and have been making it ever since. This soup is a snap to make and freezes beautifully! This soup is amazing!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and chunked
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chunked
- 5 cups vegetable broth or 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- toasted pumpkin seeds (optional) or chopped cilantro, garnish (optional)
- 1Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- 2Saute onions with ginger, cumin, and cayenne until onions are soft, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic when you think there is about 45 secs to 1 minute left to achieve the soft onions [Do not let the garlic burn].
- 3Add salt, carrots, potatoes, and broth and bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat to low. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
- 5Add the peanut butter.
- 6Puree the soup. This is most easily done with a hand-blender right in the pot.
- 7Stir in orange juice.
- 8Ladle in bowls and garnish if desired.
- 9This soup freezes very well in tupperware. I'm sure it will freeze well for many months, however I don't know for sure because mine has never stayed frozen for longer than a month due to being eaten!
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Favorite Carrot Soup
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 155.3
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 163.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: