1/2 Photos of Mushroom-Stuffed Turkey Breast
2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This can be made as a holiday alternative to a whole turkey, if you prefer just white meat, or don't have a large crowd to feed. Also, at a time when prevailing tastes are running toward light, lean meat, high-protein, low-fat turkey breast comes close to the perfect choice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped (about 7 cups)
- 2 slices firm bread, crumbled (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup diced mixed dried fruit (apricots, raisins, apples, peaches)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 whole bone-in turkey breast, thawed if frozen (4-5 lbs.)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1Heat 4 T. butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until very soft, but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; saute until tender and juices have evaporated, about15 minutes. Stir in bread crumbs; cook, stirring to blend, about 3 minutes. Add dried fruits, 2 T. lemon juice, and half the salt and pepper. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
- 2Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Rinse turkey breast and pat dry. Trim any veins or tendons. Using fingers and tip of small paring knife where needed and working from wide end, separate skin from flesh to create pocket for stuffing.
- 4Place turkey in baking dish just large enough to hold it. Sprinkle all over with remaining lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- 5Spoon all but 1 cup stuffing under skin and in neck cavity (small end). Secure skin to flesh with small skewers. Fold under skin at neck end. Spoon remaining 1 cup stuffing onto underside of breast and turn skin side up in dish. Rub skin with remaining 1 T. butter.
- 6Roast, basting every 15 minutes with pan juices, until meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of breast registers 160 degrees, about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Pour pan juices into liquid measuring cup. Let turkey rest for about 15 minutes.
- 7Spoon off fat from pan juices and add enough water to measure 1-1/2 cups. Strain into small saucepan and heat to simmering. Dissolve cornstarch in cold water; stir into pan juices. Simmer, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat and adjust seasonings. Carve turkey into 1/2-inch-thick slices; serve with gravy (and a nice Zinfandel!).
Browse Our Top Turkey Breasts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Turkey Breasts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom-Stuffed Turkey Breast
Serving Size: 1 (384 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 469.3
- Calories from Fat 212
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 148.0 mg
- Sodium 632.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 46.1 g