Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 mins
A very simple to make and delicious to eat appetizer. The recipe is originally from Southern Living.
- 1 loaf unsliced Italian bread, about 16 ounce loaf
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 5 -7 plum tomatoes, cut into 36 slices
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cut bread into 36 slices.
- Place on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 400º for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Combine olive oil and next 3 ingredients and brush on bread slices.
- Top evenly with sliced green onions and one or two tomato slices.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- If desired, garnish with green onions slices.
A big hit at our 4th of July party - esp. since there were plenty of servings, just right for our 4 adults and 4 kids. I found it a bit bland, so might use diced tomatoes and more garlic/cheese next time. thanks so much!
I made these for Thanksgiving to hold us over until the Turkey was ready. I was asked to make more for dinner. Before I chopped the garlic up, I cut it in half, and rubbed the bread with it to get more garlic flavor on the bread itself. Came out great. Thank you for posting this!