Another recipe from the 1980 version of the Grace Evangelical Congregational Church cookbook from Muir, Pennsylvania that was given to me by my Nana when I became an adult. This recipe was submitted to the cookbook by Beth Kryston.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Add 1/2 cup of the sugar to keep them stiff.
- Cream shorting; add salt and vanilla.
- Add remaining sugar gradually.
- Add unbeaten egg yolks and beat until light and creamy.
- Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk.
- Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Fold in fresh blueberries (use a bit of the flour in recipe to roll the blueberries so they don't settle).
- Turn into a greased 8 x 8-inch pan.
- Sprinkle top with sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes.
Light in textuure, light in taste. A great little snack cake. Made for ZWT4.
This is a wonderful cake - a great way to use fresh blueberries. Delicious! Made for ZWT4 for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers.
I really liked that this made just a small cake (it's already gone!). Used butter instead of shortening and frozen blueberries as I can't get fresh. Didn't sprinkle the extra sugar on top but did glaze the cake with a light sugar/lemon glaze. Delicious.