kelly in TO's Note:
A lighter, healthier version of mashed potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (plus one pinch)
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1/4 cup vegetable stock or 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seed oil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- white pepper
- 1Place sweet potatoes and parsnips in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and continue to cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat.
- 2Drain, reserving cooking liquid. Add stock or water, pumpkin oil, sea salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and white pepper. Mash potatoes and parsnips with a potato masher until smooth. Add more reserved cooking liquid if the potato mixture is too stiff.
- 3Transfer mashed vegetables to a casserole dish that has been light coated with cooking spray. Cover and keep warm in a low oven. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 132.1
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 280.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pumpkin seed oil