Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A lighter, healthier version of mashed potatoes.
Make and share this Mashed Sweet Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt (plus one pinch)
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1⁄4 cup vegetable stock or 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seed oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- white pepper
- Place sweet potatoes and parsnips in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and continue to cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat.
- Drain, reserving cooking liquid. Add stock or water, pumpkin oil, sea salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and white pepper. Mash potatoes and parsnips with a potato masher until smooth. Add more reserved cooking liquid if the potato mixture is too stiff.
- Transfer mashed vegetables to a casserole dish that has been light coated with cooking spray. Cover and keep warm in a low oven. Serve hot.