Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Rutabaga is SO overlooked! This recipe is a nice introduction to this root vegetable.
Make and share this Mashed Rutabaga and Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- Cook diced rutabaga, covered, in as small amount of boiling, salted water as possible about 30 minutes, or until tender; drain.
- Boil unpeeled potatoes for about 30 minutes, or until very tender; drain and slip off skins.
- Combine hot rutabaga and hot potatoes.
- Mash or beat together with butter, salt and pepper to taste.
- If mixture is dry, beat in a little hot milk to obtain the consistency you like.
- Serve sprinkled with parsley.
My mother used to make her Thanksgiving potatoes this way and I think they are the best! Such a wonderful flavor. Thank you for sharing ;-)
Heavenly!! Great comfort dish.
My dugther and I had made 48pasties and had rutabagas leftover so I decided to make this recipe,because my DH has been begging me to make mashed rutabaga for years the way his Mother made them. I made it once the way he described and didnt care for them as they were strong tasting and had a consistency I did not care for,kind of dry and a rough mash texture..But I tried this recipe and really liked it..I did however cover the rutabaga with water to cook, they absorb water,so I did not need to add any milk..Had a nice texture..Thank U for this recipe I will be making it again...