Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is great to serve on the day or to use as a make ahead meal. Why wait for the holidays to roast turkey! Makes for great sandwiches, Turkey Taco Salads, Casseroles, or Turkey Tortilla Soup!
- For marinade, combine lime peel, lime juice, tequila, the 3 Tbs orange juice or tequila, the oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place turkey breast in a self-sealing plastic bag set in a large bowl.
- Pour marinade over turkey.
- Seal bag; turn to coat breast.
- Marinate in refrigerator at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Lift turkey breast from bag, reserving 1 cup of the marinade, cover reserved marinade and refrigerate until ready to make sauce.
- Discard any remaining marinade.
- Place turkey, skin side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Insert a meat thermometer into thickest part of the breast, without touching bone.
- Roast, uncovered in a 325F oven for 2 1/4-2 1/2 hours or until thermometer registers 170F.
- Transfer turkey to a cutting board, cover with foil.
- Let stand 10-15 minutes before carving Meanwhile, for margarita sauce, in a small saucepan stir the reserved marinade into cornstarch.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- To serve, thinly slice 1/3 of the turkey breast.
- Serve with the margarita sauce.
- Cut up and store remaining turkey as follows: Divide remaining turkey breast in half.
- Cube half (about 2 cups); shred the other half (about 2 cups) Place cube and shredded turkey in separate self-sealing plastic bags or freezer bags.
- Seal and refrigerate up to 3 days or label and freeze up to 3 months.
- *This turkey is great for Turkey Taco Salad or Turkey Tortilla Soup!
- Before using, thaw turkey overnight in refrigerator, if frozen.
We did this on our smoker and it was yummy!
I made this several months ago and forgot to review it. The turkey turns out very moist and delicious. Very good to have on hand for sandwiches,salads or any recipe that calls for cooked turkey or chicken. will definitely make again!