Cook4 hrs 30 mins
This is my aunt's recipe. One of the best baked bean recipes I have ever tried.
Make and share this Maple Baked Beans recipe from Food.com.
- Sort and rinse beans.
- Place beans in a large Dutch oven.
- Add 2 quarts of cold water.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Return beans to the Dutch oven; add remaining water.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes or until almost tender.
- Drain and reserve liquid.
- In a large bowl, mix together beans and remaining ingredients; pour into a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Cover and bake at 300 degrees for 2 1/2 hours or until tender.
- Stir occasionally; add reserved bean liquid if necessary.
I made these beans to take to a work Christmas party. What a tremendous success. The maple flavor pervades and makes you want to stick your finger in the pot to get a taste. Your beans were very popular with the party-ers. YUMMY STUFF!!
The flavour of these beans is outstanding; on the sweet side, which suited my family perfectly. The dish was very easy to put together, and as a bonus was quite inexpensive too. I made a couple of small changes: I chose to saute the bacon slightly before adding to the pot, to render some of the fat out. I then sauteed the onion (and some fresh garlic!) in the bacon fat, just for a minute or so, until the onion started to soften -- then added that to the pot. I also added a little extra ketchup (personal preference -- I wanted a little more tomato in it and had no tomato sauce to add). The only problem I had was with softness -- even after an extra hour in the oven (3 1/2 hours total), the beans were still a little too chewy and tough for my liking. I suspect this might have been my fault, however; in my desire not to "water down" the flavour, I added the extra bean liquid sparingly. I suspect I should have kept the beans more liquidy, particularly during the first half of the cooking. I will definitely make this again; it was quite a hit, chewy beans notwithstanding! This entire dish served my 3-person family with only a small bowl left over. Thanks for the recipe!
The best!! Simply the best. I have a long-standing tried and true baked bean recipe. But I wanted to try something different. We LOVED these beans. The real maple syrup is the secret ingredient. This will be our standard from now on. Thanks for sharing this.