2 hrs 20 mins
This is a Daughter of a Southern Woman Recipe. It has come down from women who can cook for 500 people or just you and your Mama. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 bunches collard greens
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 smoked pork hocks
- hot sauce
- 1Most Important: Wash the greens several times.
- 2Remove the veins and stems,then chop coarsely.
- 3Sauté onions in a little oil for 2-3 minutes.
- 4Add greens, 1 teaspoon hot sauce and 1 1/2 quart water.
- 5Heat to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer till greens are tender.
- 6Remove the hocks, ditch the fat, shred the meat and return it to the pot.
- 7Keep an eye on the water level so the greens don't get dry.
- 8This is VERY easy and tastes great!
Browse Our Top Collard Greens Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Collard Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mama's Greens
Serving Size: 1 (182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 61.3
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 34.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked pork hocks