1/1 Photo of Kittencal's Hush Puppies
These are a family-favorite they fry up light and so fluffy, a must drizzled pancake or maple syrup on top, servings is only estimated it will depend on how much the batter you drop from the spoon --- these can also be made in a deep-fryer with oil heated to 365°F :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1/2 teaspoon white salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk (might need a little more)
- 3 tablespoons melted lard or 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 (12 ounce) canned corn kernels, drained and coarsely chopped
- oil (for frying)
- 1Pour enough oil in a large cast-iron skillet (or a heavy skillet) to about 1-1/2-inches or a little more.
- 2Heat oil over medium-high until hot (to test the oil drop a spoonful of batter into hot oil if it sizzles it is ready).
- 3In a bowl mix together flour, cornmeal baking powder, seasoned salt, and cayenne pepper and sugar.
- 4In another bowl beat together egg, milk and melted lard or shortening until combined; add into the flour mixture; mix to combined (if the mixture seems to dry then add in a little more milk.
- 5Mix in the chopped corn kernels.
- 6Drop the batter by teaspoonfuls into hot oil and fry until golden turning once (these will not take long to brown).
- 7Drain well on paper towels.
Browse Our Top Corn Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Hush Puppies
Serving Size: 1 (37 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 83.1
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 14.7 mg
- Sodium 99.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: