This recipe is our favorite from The Williamsburg Cookbook. We had to buy the cookbook after having this at the King's Arms Tavern in Colonial Williamsburg. It is quite tasty served hot with toasted breadsticks (see recipe titled "Colonial Soup-Servers") This soup can be served hot or cold. It is even good re-heated.
- Saute onion and celery in butter until soft.
- Do not brown.
- Stir in the flour until well blended.
- Add chicken broth/stock, stirring constantly and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Puree in a food processor or blender.
- Add peanut butter and cream, stirring to blend thoroughly.
- Return to low heat and heat just until hot.
- Do not boil.
- Serve garnished with chopped peanuts.